This flavor-packed BBQ sauce combines the natural sweetness of cherries and maple syrup with the welcoming warmth of the ginger, cinnamon, and rosemary.
For best results, prepare this recipe one or two days in advance. Although it can be enjoyed immediately, this sauce really comes into its own when the flavors are given time to fully develop.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes + time to come to pressure Serves 6-8
2 T. extra virgin olive oil 1 medium shallot, finely chopped 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced 2½ c. fresh or frozen dark cherries, pitted 1 . can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid 3 T. apple cider vinegar 2 t. fresh ginger, finely minced 1½ t. ground cinnamon ½ t. smoked paprika 3 T. maple syrup 1 T. fresh rosemary, finely chopped 2 t. liquid smoke (optional) Sea salt and black pepper, to taste Directions:
1. Add olive oil to Instant Pot and select the “Sauté” function on the high temperature setting. Add shallot and garlic and sauté until soft and slightly golden, approximately 3-4 minutes.
2. Turn Instant Pot off and add remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes and the liquid smoke, if using. Stir to combine and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
3. Add lid and lock into place. Make sure the valve is set to the “Sealing” position and set the “Manual” setting to high for 10 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
4. When finished cooking, do a quick release (QR) of the pressure according to the manufacturer’s suggestions before unlocking and removing the lid.
5. Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
Note: For a thicker sauce, return to the Instant Pot and bring to a low boil using the “Sauté” function set to high. Heat, stirring frequently, until the excess liquid is reduced and the sauce reaches the desired consistency.